Once owned by Empress Eugene, it was purchased in 1906 directly from the Empress's jewelry box by Caroline Astor, queen of New York City and Newport society. She often wore the diamond ring to her many dinner parties and balls at her fabulous mansion overlooking Central Park. When she died, her son John placed the ring along with several of her other valuable pieces in the Astor vault. It was then pulled out by his son, John VI, who gave it as an engagement ring to Eileen Gillespie (later Eileen Slocum). They broke it off and the ring, then valued at $100,000, was placed back in the Astor vault. It was recently auctioned off for $1.5 million.
Photo: Auction Website