Built in 1856-1859 for Peruvian Frederico L. Barreda; designed by architect Calvert Vaux. John Jacob Astor III bought the estate in 1879 and renamed it "Beaulieu."
His son William Waldorf Astor assumed ownership in 1888. In 1901 Cornelius ''Neily'' Vanderbilt III and his wife, Grace Graham Wilson, took a long-term rental on the villa and eventually purchased it. During the 1950s it fell into disrepair and remains a private residence.
Photo courtesy of The Robert Yarnall Photograph Collection