Sunday, July 8, 2012

Stuyvesant Fish Mansion New York City



Stuyvesant Fish was not vastly wealthy or a great robber baron, unlike his many friends, but a quiet and kindly man who had come from one of the most prominent and prestigious families in New York City. His father, Hamilton Fish, had been the 9th Republican governor of New York, a US senator and Secretary of State under Ulysses S. Grant and was also a descendant of the prominent Peter Stuyvesant. His mother Julia Kean was a descendant of New Jersey governor William Livingston and his grandfather, Nicholas , had fought in the American Revolution. With his impeccable bloodlines, Fish occupied a high place in society and it was not a surprise at all when he married Marion Graves Anthon , daughter of a prominent lawyer, his childhood sweetheart.






















             Stuyvesant Fish (left) and his eccentric and rambunctious wife Mamie (right)


"Mamie", as Marion was called, was plain, could barely read and write and had a laugh that was described as "horselike". But Mamie was sharp, witty and irreverent which made her an excellent hostess with never a dull moment. Stuyvesant had proudly worked his way up from director to president of the Illinois Central Railroad, a position he held for 20 years. The Fish assets were meager compared to those of the couples many friends, although Fish's $3 million fortune was not bad at the time when the average man earned $10 a day. Despite their small fortune, the Fish managed to live like they were rich. In Newport the Fish had constructed a large colonial mansion overlooking Bailey's Beach called "Crossways" where Mamie gave her annual "Harvest Ball" in "Crossways"'s large ballroom.


                                                       The Fish Cottage "Crossways"

The Fish also occupied a large estate on the Hudson called "Glenclyffe" where Mamie gave weekend house parties for her friends, although "Glenclyffe" was used more by Stuyvesant as a retreat from his wife social functions.
                                                 The Fish Estate "Glenclyffe"


In New York City the Fish had originally occupied a large brownstone on Gramercy Park. But in 1900 Mamie, feeling her surroundings not grand enough for her social position, decided she wanted a new townhouse and commissioned Stanford White to build a large townhouse on a very narrow lot. White was given a restrained budget of some $250,000 to create the house and plans were soon submitted for a imposing Italian Renaissance palazzo with decorative details all built on a long narrow lot.

                                        Stanford White was the chosen architect for the project

Upon entering the home guests would enter straight through to the marble entrance hall with a beautiful marble staircase. To the left was a large paneled reception room, while to the right was a dark 17th century-style dining room, on either sides of the staircase were a large dressing room and dining pantry.


                          The Large 17th Century-Styled Dining Room Could Seat 100 People

Upstairs on the second floor, were the red salon and the largest room in the house, the ballroom, in between the two was a large hall and a dressing room. Connecting off of the ballroom in the servants addition was the silver vault and linen closet.

                                The Second Floor Hall Was Normally The Scene of Musicales

                                The Large Ballroom Accommodate 1,000 People For Dancing

                            The Red Salon Also Served as a Art Gallery and Mrs. Fish's Office

On the third floor was Mr. and Mrs. Fish's bedroom suites hers done in a heavy gothic style his done in a dark wood, each had their own bath and dressing room.

          Mrs. Fish Felt Her Bedroom Was Too Perfect To Disturb So She Slept In Her Dressing Room

On the fourth floor was a library and boudoir, while on the remaining floors were guest bedrooms and servant's rooms. Soon after moving in Mamie gave a large dinner for 40 people and entertained them at the end with a vaudeville act. Mamie became know as society's enfant terrible because of her lavish and outrageous parties, from hosting parties in honor of monkeys and dogs to giving a ball where guests dressed up as peasants. Once in Newport, Mamie had to be talked out of playing "Home Sweet Home" (the song that announced that the party was over) just as the guests were coming through the door. Another time when Mamie and her equally troublesome friend Harry Lehr were in Newport they had not gotten invitations from James Van Alen for a musicale he was hosting at his cottage "Wakehurst", but their spouses had. Mamie and Harry confronted Van Alen and demanded invitations, "Sorry" Van Alen said "But I can't have you two at my musicale, you make too much noise"" If you don't give us invitations" said Mamie" me and Harry will tell everyone that your cook has chicken pocks and then no one will come to your party" finally Van Alen relented and sent them invitations, but they had to stay on the porch during the musicale. One of Mamie's most famous parties was her dog dinner which she co-hosted with Harry Lehr in honor of Mrs. Lehr's dog's birthday.

                                     "Arleigh" The Lehr Cottage, Site of The Dogs Dinner

Guests arrived at the Lehr cottage and were taken onto the porch where tables had been set up for the dogs and the guests. Mamie's dog arrived sporting a $15,000 diamond dog collar. Also in attendance were the Elish Dyers and their terrier, John Astor IV and his airedale, The Belmonts and their dog and Clarence Mackay and his spaniel. The dogs were served birthday cake on the veranda with the guests ate inside. During the night the Oelrich's dachshund ate so much he passed out and had to be carried home. The gifts for Mrs. Lehr's pomeranian, Mighty Atom, were said to be worth $25,000 and the hight was said to have cost some $50,000. The happiness did not last however because in 1915 Mamie died of cerebral hemorrhage while at "Crossways". The townhouse was sold after Mr. Fish's death and it's now owned by Michael Bloomberg.


11 comments:

  1. Using BullionVault you may purchase physical gold and silver by the gram at current spot exchange rates.

    Your bullion is stored at one of 5 secured global vaults. And you may exchange it online or withdraw physical bars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I am Jessica Funk. After being in relationship with my husband for years, he broke up with me. I did everything within my reach to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so badly because of the love I had for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back , I had no choice than to try it. I messaged the spell caster, and he assured me there was no problem and that everything will be okay before three days. He cast the spell and surprisingly on the second day, my husband called me. I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that had happened He wanted me to return to him. He also said he loved me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how we started living together happily again. The spell casters email is okokakspellhome@gmail.com. You can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other Case. Or WhatApp him on +2349060421250

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for his great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And i Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have The Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, is a true life experience is not designed to convince you its a personal health experience, sometimes medical doctors take a different approach about herpes treatment. i has been stocked in bondage with herpes for two years and four months i has tried different means to eliminate this sickness because it surely has distract me even with the world, and i was told there is no cure, but only medicine for treatment all the possible ways i has tried was treatment, two months back i did some herpes research and i found amazing testimonies concerning natural herbal cure, and i go for it through the email address from the post just to give a try of herbal treatment, and i found it grate without delay i got cured with natural treatment from doc Onokun herbal cure his cure are powerful and shows out excellent result. and i think everyone suffering with herpes and others symptoms should also know about this cure from, Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of HPV as soon as i feel the symptoms of HPV is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr Onokun for natural treatment, it works wonders and amazingly. Ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these virus anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this disease. Any HPV or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr Onokun to get ride of any disease forever his You can contact him on his Email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or you can reach out to me for more info about this treatment. text/call me i live in the USA (208) 425 7799

    ReplyDelete
  6. All thanks to Dr Alli for curing my herpes virus/hpv with his herbal medicine, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will forever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Alli to reach me when i thought it was all over, today i am happy with my life again after the medical doctor have confirmed my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS / HPV of 5 is gone,i have never in my life believed that HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS could be cured by herbal medicine. so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the power of Dr Alli that all hope is not lost yet, try and contact him by any means for any kind of disease with his email: ( Allispellhelp1@gmail.com ) or his whatsapp number +2348100772528 and get your healing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trusted and reliable spell caster here in the United States who can help fix your relationship or marriage problems with love spells. Contact him now through Email Miraclespellhome@gmail.com or call +1 (301) 970-9111

    My love life has changed for the better since the interference of the most powerful spell caster on earth called Dr. Miracle. My testimony today is in regard to the help that Dr. Miracle rendered me when my lover departed from me. My name is Angela Laplaca from the United States. It gives me joy today in writing this testimony as a way of showing my appreciation to Dr. Miracle. Happily I can say today I am living a happy life with my lover and also my Relationship life is restored and stable. Dr. Miracle saved my relationship from breaking up into a better relationship. My Boyfriend, who broke up with me before, is now loving me like crazy and I’m loving it! I am very much grateful for restoring peace in my relationship and at the same time I am using this opportunity to advise those that are finding stress and pains in their relationship or marriages to contact Dr. Miracle who is the best spell caster in the world through his contact details via Email:

    Miraclespellhome@gmail.com

    Text him or call: +1 (301) 970-9111

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you in bad need of love spell to bring back your ex lover or reunite your marriage!DR JOHN for quick 24 hours solution. my name is Caroline Kate and I had a problem with my husband 14 Years, which lead us apart. When he broke up with me, I was confuse and did not know what to do to get him back, I felt so empty inside. Until i came across DR JOHN on the internet on how He has helped so many people solve there various problem. I emailed Him and I told Him my problem and i did what he asked me to do for him to help me, to briefly make the long story short, Before I knew it, in less than 24 HOURS, my Husband gave me a call and he came back to me and told me he was sorry about what was going on between the both of us. Finally I am writing this testimony to offer my thanks and deep gratitude to you DR JOHN for keeping to your words and your promises in bringing him back to me in just 24 hours of your powerful spell casting, and for using your gifted and great powers to bring him back. If you need his help, you can email him at: drjohnsoco @ gmail .com You can also WhatsApp him on +1 706 871 4571 ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that I would be healed someday.This disease started to circulate all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, a few weeks ago I came on search on the internet if I could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search I saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr. Ehimare and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so I wrote to Dr. Ehimare telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later I started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr. assured me that I have cured, after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if I have been finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advice is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email Dr. Ehimare (drehimare3@gmail.com) or via whatsapp+ 1 (267) 691-1087 sir I am indeed grateful for the help I will forever recommend you to my friends!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...